It's a Richer life

Two days ago, I defended my PhD Thesis. And just like that I get to add "Ph.D" after or "Dr" before my name. In many ways one wonders if the title matters. But why give up on title if you're being offered one. I thought I be inspired by AC DC and go around yelling "P H D... I'm Dynamite! PHD!!" What prevails however is tremendous relief: that it's over and that I can move on. 

These past six years have been full of all kinds of education. In research I've learnt there are never enough controls for an experiment. In addition to research, a lot of life happened in the lab. People making science happen, people getting in the way of science and that nature doesn't conform to the whims of people. I won't philosophize it right now though I have a license to :D

The next step is waiting to be found. I don't have a job yet because the labs I'm interested in either don't have space or or don't have money. It's time to put my head down and make the best of what I have, or will have. We'll see how it goes.

Immediately after the Defense and the little party that followed, I drove to see Noshi again and it was the most relaxing drive I've made so far.  Eight hours of uninterrupted good road and me! The last time went I wasn't in a good frame of mind. Without podcasts I could have become unstable. This time was different. Just me, Dimples and the road. Dimples with her new timing belt, tires and aligned wheels rolled along on tarmac. I did hear a clunk from the front right side as soon as I left Dallas though. A hundred miles out I HAD to get a red bull to avoid dozing off at the wheel. I was talking to the guy at the counter of the gas station and stepped out to stretch for a bit before driving seven hours straight. The gas station guy stepped out too and asked me if I want to pop the headlight back in. I had no idea what he was talking about. Turns out Dimples was sprinting on the highway with one eyeball popped out. He fixed the problem with duct tape. The fix lasted me my entire drive back. Jugaad, I say, is a wonderful thing. The sun set as I drove and the moon shone later. On stretches of road near the Kansas border, I was the only soul within the horizon and the stars as big and dense as ants in a nest, beamed down. The moon was showing off her gold negligee, but as I am accustomed to now, I avoided the distraction.

Just chilling with Noshi was fantastic! Like I've said before, we really don't have to talk to have a good time. Most of the two days I was there was spent waking up, going out to eat and taking a nap. He got me a copy of the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes and Nietzsche's "Thus spake Zarathushtra". The guy at the counter at Barnes and Noble was surprised that two brown boys picked up the mother Nazi philosophy. The other thing we did together was to attend Kansas City's... wait for it.. "Tamil Sangam"!! Yes... complete with Vadas, Bhel poori, Adai, idyappam, Masala chai and so on. It was a Mela with my people. Families hanging out, kids being themselves... I need such a feel from time to time. It felt just like home, without the dirt and smells.

Time will tell what happens next. I'm excited but sans anticipation. I feel grown up somehow. A bit of soul building in the Grand Canyon this weekend should be good. It keeps getting richer and richer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Necessary Administrative Absurdities